Employment Law

As the Industrial Revolution swept America, Europe, and the rest of what is now known as the industrialized world, more and more people left their rural lives to live in cities and work in factories. As the number of such...

Personal Injury Law

Our Personal Injury Section provides access to information and resources on many topics of personal injury law. Find definitions of personal injury, discover whether a personal injury lawsuit is advised in your case, elements of a personal injury case and understand...

Divorce Law

Divorce (or the dissolution of marriage) is the final termination of a marital union, canceling the legal duties and responsibilities of marriage and dissolving the bonds of matrimony  between the parties. In most countries divorce requires the sanction of a...


Last week's column outlined what to do if your "ex" doesn't return your children at the time identified in your court order. In many cases, these delays are neither intentional nor malicious, but the product of poor time management. However, some ex-mates remain angry long after the divorce, venting their displeasure at every opportunity, and the weekly "hand-off" is an easy venue for making your life miserable.

As pointed out last week, you have a remedy if your "ex" willfully violates the schedule in your court order. Take your case to the police. It is a felony violation of Section 565.156 of the Missouri Revised Statues punishable by up to four years in the pokey.

Involving the police usually solves the problem, if the police will intervene on your behalf. Sometimes, though, they are reluctant to step into what they see as a squabble between private parties, not realizing that their reluctance emboldens the recalcitrant spouse to push the envelope further. Just recently, a mother asked me what she should do about her former spouse who hasn't returned her children since Christmas...almost four months earlier! She has gone to the police, but they refused to get involved, saying it was a "private matter".

"The police have a legal duty to investigate a crime", says Rob Livergood, Assistant Prosecuting Attorney for St. Louis County, but the police also "have the discretion to decide if a crime has been committed". If the first officer, after reviewing your court-ordered schedule, refuses to get involved, here is how to proceed:

1. Immediately ask for a supervisor and take your case up the chain of command, all the way to the chief if necessary. Make sure they know that there is good reason to believe that a crime (child abduction by a parent) has occurred because the abduction was intentional, it was without good cause, and it is in violation of a valid court order. Communicate these three elements and, then, it seems to me that you have reported a crime that the police "have a duty to investigate". If the police still won't respond, ask for a police report recording that you made the complaint, but be prepared that they may say "it's not ready yet."
2. Then, go to the Prosecuting Attorney in the county where the divorce was granted. Ask that they issue a felony warrant for your "ex" for child abduction by a parent. Bring your court-ordered schedule, and the police report of your complaint, assuming you received one. In all likelihood, the prosecutor will respond with a warrant directing that your "ex" be arrested. But, if not...
3. You will need to retain an attorney who should file a writ of "habeas corpus" (Latin for "produce the body") in the county where the divorce was granted. It will be served to your former spouse and direct him/her to deliver the children by a specific deadline. If that doesn't occur, take the writ to the police where your "ex" resides and they are required to enforce the writ and recover your children.

In addition, your lawyer should file a "contempt motion" with the Family Court for failure to comply with the court-ordered schedule. If your "ex" is found to be "in contempt", the penalty is jail time until the children are returned, plus paying your legal fees.

As prosecutor Livergood says, most problems are resolved with the first visit to the police, but it's nice to know you have options for dealing with an ex-mate that persistently brings your kids back late just to be difficult.

Cynthia M. Fox is a Missouri attorney and mediator located in Clayton, MO. Her web site is www.foxfamilylawyers.com She has pioneered a new approach to divorce called The ConstructiveDivorce

Published in Family Law

Latest Lawyer Listings

  • Hasbrook & HasbrookHasbrook & HasbrookCategory: Personal InjuryDescription: The attorneys at Hasbrook & Hasbrook serve Oklahomans injured or wronged by the actions of others. As Oklahoma personal injury attorneys, we choose to represent people instead of corporations and insurance companies.Country:
  • Law Offices of Jason C. Matalas, P.C.Law Offices of Jason C. Matalas, P.C.Category: AttorneysDescription: "When Your Future Depends on it – You Need the Best. Expert Divorce and Family law representation dedicated to protecting your family, your assets and your future. Let’s get started. Call Us Now: (978) 304-2888" Country:
  • Atlanta Law ResolutionAtlanta Law ResolutionCategory: Tax LawDescription: People pay millions of dollars every year to " tax resolution" companies with little or no results. The are sucked in my constant stream of radio and TV ads and the high cost of many "Tax attorney". After helping people with debt problems for 30 years ...Country:
  • RIGHT LawyersRIGHT LawyersCategory: AttorneysDescription: Right Lawyers was started in 2004 by divorce attorney Stacy Rocheleau. She started the firm in an executive suite. Just Stacy, an office the size of a broom closet, a computer, and a few law books. 12 years later the firm has grown by adding four attorney ...Country:
  • Schneider HammersSchneider HammersCategory: Personal InjuryDescription: Schneider Hammers is an Atlanta personal injury law firm with over 40 years of collective experience. Clients do not pay unless the firm wins their case. Call today for a free injury review! 770-884-4626. Our practice is focused exclusively on helping ...Country:
  • Show more...

Personal Injury

Business Law

Divorce Lawyers

Criminal Defence

Recent Activities

Pinned Items
Recent Activities
  • jeffnadrich
    jeffnadrich unlocked the badge Newbie
    Being part of a community. To unlock this badge, you need to register on this site.
    Post is under moderation
    Stream item published successfully. Item will now be visible on your stream.
There are no activities here yet