Website copyright - Copyright Law and the Internet
The internet has made us all publishers and many of the copyright laws apply. The internet is not considered public domain and any original work, including photos, art and text, are protected even if there is no copyright notice.
If you receive a complaint about your website, the prudent course of action is to immediately remove the material while you seek proof of ownership. If it comes to a court appearance, your immediate response will be viewed favorably.
There have been legal issues with certain types of linking. Currently, there is no problem with linking to the front page of a website. If you use another company's logo (like Amazon.Com's), or imply a relationship, you must obtain the other company's permission in writing. Oral agreements are acceptable but difficult to prove.
Deep linking is done when a link bypasses the front page of a website and links to an interior page. So far deep linking is okay (but unsettled), as long as it doesn't imply a relationship. If your website contains outbound links, consider adding the following disclaimer to your website:
By providing links to other sites, [your website name] does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites.
Framing another website's content has been found by one court to be an infringement of copyright. A website called TotalNews framed content from CNN and the Washington Post. They were ordered to stop framing and use text links only.
If you own a website that allows the public to post comments, you will want to protect yourself with a "click to accept" agreement.
"User agrees not to post any materials protected under copyright, trademark or trade secrets unless with the express authorization of the owner or, any material likely to defame or invade the privacy of an individual."
"Click to accept" agreements (click wrap agreements) often accompany royalty-free and copyright free materials i.e. shareware and clip art. These agreements commonly allow personal use and prohibit resale to others. "Click to accept" agreements are generally acceptable in the United States.
Commercial sites will want to have a refund and return policy, and any website that provides downloads will want to state that they are not responsible for any viruses picked up during the download.
Remember, disclaimers prominently displayed can limit damages. The owner of the website is liable for anything posted on their website. For more information regarding copyrights please go to www.copyright.gov. You can also find further information about copyrights and the web by going to Stanford University's website at: http://fairuse.stanford.edu/index.html. If you would like to copyright your website you can go to www.domainregistrationwebhosting.com.
About the Author
Mark Walters is a third generation real estate investor who shares his experience from two Web sites... www.CashFlowInstitute.com www.ThePowerLetter.com
Divorce (or the dissolution of marriage) is the final termination of a marital union, canceling the legal duties and responsibilities of marriage and dissolving the bonds of matrimony between the parties. In most countries divorce requires the sanction of a court or other authority in a legal process.
The legal process for divorce may also involve issues of spousal support, child custody, child support, distribution of property and division of debt.
In most jurisdictions, a divorce must be certified by a court of law to become effective. The terms of the divorce are usually determined by the court, though they may take into account prenuptial agreements or postnuptial agreements, or simply ratify terms that the spouses may have agreed to privately. In the absence of agreement, a contested divorce may be stressful to the spouses and lead to expensive litigation. Less adversarial approaches to divorce settlements have recently emerged, such as mediation and collaborative divorce, which negotiate mutually acceptable resolution to conflicts. In some other countries, when the spouses agree to divorce and to the terms of the divorce, it can be certified by a non-judiciary administrative entity. The effect of a divorce is that both parties are free to marry again.
Latest Lawyer Listings
- Law Offices of Jason C. Matalas, P.C.Category: AttorneysDescription: "When Your Future Depends on it – You Need the Best. Expert Divorce and Family law representation dedicated to protecting your family, your assets and your future. Let’s get started. Call Us Now: (978) 304-2888" Country: United States
- Atlanta Law ResolutionCategory: Tax LawDescription: People pay millions of dollars every year to " tax resolution" companies with little or no results. The are sucked in my constant stream of radio and TV ads and the high cost of many "Tax attorney". After helping people with debt problems for 30 years ...Country: United States
- RIGHT LawyersCategory: AttorneysDescription: Right Lawyers was started in 2004 by divorce attorney Stacy Rocheleau. She started the firm in an executive suite. Just Stacy, an office the size of a broom closet, a computer, and a few law books. 12 years later the firm has grown by adding four attorney ...Country: United States
- Schneider HammersCategory: Personal InjuryDescription: Schneider Hammers is an Atlanta personal injury law firm with over 40 years of collective experience. Clients do not pay unless the firm wins their case. Call today for a free injury review! 770-884-4626. Our practice is focused exclusively on helping ...Country: United States
- Burg Simpson - Trial LawyerCategory: AttorneysDescription: Founded: 1977 By Michael S. Burg Attorneys: 60+ trial lawyers, based in five offices in Colorado, Wyoming, Ohio and Arizona and providing nationwide legal representation Passion: To fight for peoples’ legal rights and hold negligent corporations and ...Country: United States
- Show more...
Post is under moderationStream item published successfully. Item will now be visible on your stream.