Power of Attorney to Settle Estate
1. Appointment of Attorney. KNOW ALL MEN BY THESE PRESENTS, that we, [names], residing at [address], the legal heirs of [name] (Decedent), make, constitute, and appoint [name] of [address] to be our lawful Attorney-in-Fact for us and to do any and all acts that we could do if personally present.
2. Scope of Power. [Name] shall act on our behalf with the full power and right to buy or sell, trade or transfer any personal property or real estate that belonged to Decedent. [Name] may sign our names, if needed, to any writing, deed, or any other instrument that must be executed to settle Decedent's estate.
3. Purpose. This Power of Attorney is given solely for the purpose of settling Decedent's estate. Decedent has not made a last will and testament, and, so, this Power of Attorney is necessary to settle this estate in compliance with the laws of [state].
4. Personal Property. The proceeds derived from the sale of Decedent's personal property are to be divided among his [or her] heirs at law in accordance with the laws of intestate distribution of [state].
5. Real Property. The proceeds derived from the sale of Decedent's real estate are to be divided among his [or her] heirs at law in accordance with the laws on descent of real property of [state].
6. Effective Date. This Power of Attorney shall be effective as of [date]. It shall remain in force until [date].
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, we have hereunto set our hands this [date].